This week's sermon text is Lk. 10:38-42 - the story of Mary and Martha. We have to be a bit careful about how we make sense of this passage. It seems to me that Martha gets a rough deal. She slaves away for Jesus in the kitchen, preparing a, no doubt, fantastic meal that would've taken hours to prepare and Jesus seems to tell her it's not good enough. Does Jesus want us to let the dishes pile up so we can all sit starry eyed at his feet? If I was Martha, I think I'd be banging the pots together and making as much noise as I could in the kitchen to give Mary the hint to get up off her backside and come and give me a hand in the kitchen as well!! Fred Craddock says "if we condemn Martha too harshly she may abandon serving altogether. If we commend Mary too profusely she may sit there forever!"

What strikes me as important is asking what is Martha's point of reference. When Martha speaks she reveals where her interests lie: "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to help me." Martha is anxious to get Jesus to help her achieve her goals. Martha tells Jesus what she wants him to say whereas Mary sits at Jesus' feet listening to what he does have to say. It's interesting to compare Martha's request with Jesus' request of God in Gethsemane. "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me; yet, not my will but yours be done". But is this still condemning Martha too harshly?

4 comments

  1. Anonymous  

    So many questions and so much thinking to do...who said this following Jesus was easy? Like you Andrew, in many ways my sympathies lie with Martha. Rather reminds me of tonight for instance at our place...I swan in from work, read a page or two of the newspaper, nibble a bit here and there and basically hang around waiting for tea. Meantime my nearest & dearest is slaving away over a hot stove, getting more and more frustrated with the lack of assistance from at least 3 of us able bodied males. Hmmm. At least Mary was sitting at Jesus' feet! We on the other hand were entertaining ourselves with (quote)"weapons of mass distraction". My rather late offer to help probably just rubbed salt into the wound! Could the excuse of rushing off to a 'missionary meeting' be construed as a "Mary" excuse? Somehow I don't think so. Sigh. Sorry dear.

  2. Anonymous  

    Hey Piccard (and other Napier people)
    It's amazing what links to where,
    from PW to here.
    I've been thinking about you and Napier recently... and I'm finally doing that wine course...
    BM

  3. Andrew  

    Good to hear from you Bean Man. Is the Beanmobile going to make it down to Napier this year or are you too busy doing wine courses?

  4. Anonymous  

    Beanman will be in Napier - there are good Merlot's to taste...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)