Next year one of the sermon series I intend to work through is a series on how to read the Bible. It's the issue that I most often hear the people in our church grapple with. They say to me, thinking that this is somehow scandalous and they're the only Christians to have ever confessed to such a heinous crime, "Andrew, I don't read my Bible." When I ask them what stops them, they usually say "it's so boring" After talking a while I come to realise that they've been sold this nonsense that the Bible is an easy read. That you can just pick it up and find little snippets of religious inspiration to help you out with your life. No one has ever helped them read the Bible and no one has ever helped them to read the Bible on its own terms (as opposed to reading it on our own terms).

I came across this video by Real Live Preacher on this very topic - it's brilliant. Go check it out.

1 comments

  1. Stephen G  

    Andrew,

    You might also be interested in Jason Clark's podcast

    "How to Read the Bible: Part 01"

    http://www.vineyardchurch.org/sutton/mp3/090706.mp3

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)