Okay, so the onther night at youth group, BAndy, Viv, Buzz and some other people were talking about free will and predestination. The same thing that they happened to be talking about, has been bugging me for months. When we finished the conversation, I was more confused than before! So, what better place to get some answers?!
My question is: God has given us all free will, right? We can choose to follow Him or not, what to wear each day, where we go etc. But, He has also mapped out our life for us. He knows what we are going to say and do before we even think about doing it. So, if God knows what we are going to choose, does free will really exsist?? I mean, how can we have to free choice to do something if God already knows what we are going to choose. Like, whats going on here, God??!!!

I decided to put it down to the fact that God has such a big understanding of things that we cant even imagine, so its not in our 'mind capacity' (or whatever!) to be able to understand it all. BAndy reckons I'm just trying to find a way to bail out of figuring out the answer!
So, what do ya'll think?? BAndy might be able to explain a little better what I mean....?!

7 comments

  1. Andrew  

    I'm not sure if a blog is the best means of discussing predestination to be honest. In saying that, it would be nice to get a different perspective on the matter. Calling all Calvinists.

    I'd just like to start by pointing out that this topic doesn't impact at all on salvation (Acts 16:31 still applies whatever side you're on). Also I think there is a limited practical difference between a Calvinist (note: there was no "hyper" in front of that, PAndy) and an Arminian.

  2. Anonymous  

    Predestination means there is someone else to blame? It was all God's fault?
    Awesome!! Tee hee, :-)
    (Otherwise this was all over my head...)

  3. A. J. Chesswas  

    Hi guys... not sure how i came across yr blog, but here's a question: Do we really have free will as long as we are in bondage to our sinful nature (see Romans 7,8)? Do we need to be set free, and liberated, born of the spirit, in order for our will to be truly free? And if our will is truly free, and we see clearly without the blinding effects of our sinfulness, then will we not respond to our glorious and beautiful creator because his reality and majesty makes everything else seem meaningless?

    A.J.Chesswas
    Calvnist

  4. Andrew  

    Hi A.J.
    Hmm interesting. Romans 7 does raise many questions.

    Romans 7:24,25
    What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God-through Jesus Christ our Lord!
    So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.


    I don't understand the last question. Are you suggesting that if our will was free then we wouldn't respond to our creator?

  5. Anonymous  

    Bandy, I don't know if A.J. is still around, but that is the understanding a Calvinist finds in the Bible - there is no one righteous, not one. There is no one who seeks after God. Rom 3:23...if I remember the reference rightly.

  6. Andrew  

    Mmm I though so, just with how it was worded I didn't know whether he was saying that or the opposite.

    To be honest, I didn't think the discussion on predestination revolved around man's sinful nature but more around God's sovereignty and omniscience...

  7. Anonymous  

    I'm not sure it's totally accurate to say the discussion on predestination revolves around either. For me, at least, it comes primarily from the Bible, and can be approached from more than one angle.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)