I'm starting out on my attempt to read a whole volume of Barth's Dogmatics (Volume IV Part 1) - The Doctrine of Reconciliation. I found this quote in the foreword that Barth wrote for this volume that I thought was timely at Easter:

"I have been very conscious of the very special responsibility laid on the theologian at this centre of all Christian knowledge [the doctrine of reconciliation]. To fail here is to fail everywhere. To be on the right track here makes it impossible to be completely mistaken in the whole."

What an enormous responsibility and urgent demand it is for preachers to grapple with Easter and atonement! Ironically, some would argue that Barth was mistaken here. I will reserve my judgement...

3 comments

  1. not a wild hera  

    Ooh, this looks like a great opportunity to have YOU do the work of reading the Dogmatics and for ME to reap the benefit of your insights. Rock on!

  2. not a wild hera  

    thalia here, btw...

  3. Andrew  

    I figure that quoting is easier than interpreting. I'll leave the hard stuff of interpreting to Brian (FMOFTT MHNBRF )...

    See you soon.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)